site image
Nature 05


Elsie L. Horne

February 18, 1925 ~ October 20, 2018 (age 93)

Elsie L. Horne


Born February 18th 1925 in Topeka, Kansas to Clarence and Gladys Main 
Married to Rex Elvin Horne, February 23rd, 1946

Elsie is preceded in death by her Husband Rex Horne, Grandson Randy Waggoner, and Great-Grandson Henry Thomas Horne.

Survived by her children, Michael and his wife Patti Horne, Dotty and her husband Ross Schwyhart, Rex and his wife Becky Horne.    Her grand children Nicole and her husband Reid Centers, Kimberly Horne, Betsy and her husband Ed Cannon, Katie and her husband AJ Miller,  Jo and her husband Dave Mesh, Ryan and his wife Katie Horne, and Riley Horne.    Her Great-Grandchildren, Cammy Waggoner, Brielle Cannon, Kyle Cannon, Molly Miller,  Ashlyn Olmsted, Rory Horne and Colton Horne.  Plus numerous nieces and nephews and many friends. 

The following obituary was read during Elsie's services

On a farm tear Topeka, Kansas on February 18, 1925 a baby girl was born to Clarence James and Gladys Mona (Crook) Main.  They named her Elsie Louise.  She was the fourth of five children – Dorothy, Robert, Helen, Elsie, and Clarence (Junior) who was the only one of the five children born in a hospital.

 The family moved to Denver, Colorado to live with Elsie’s grandparents who owned a store in the downtown area when she was about 6 months old.  They stayed with them only long enough to find housing.  Elsie lived most of her life in the Barnum neighborhood where she attended Barnum Elementary School and South High School.

 As a teenager she worked as a silkscreen operator in a pillow factory which made souvenir pillows that World War II military could purchase to send to the folks back home.  During their breaks Elsie and the other young girls would drop feathers out of the windows onto the boys on 16th Street who were waiting for the train so they could flirt with them.

 Elsie had a mischievous side to her.  One time when she and her friend Louise Sitzler were out on a double date Elsie thought it would be fun to steal the boys Model A.  There was only one problem neither one of them was tall enough to reach both the steering wheel and the pedals but, they worked it out with one of them driving and the other working the pedals.

 As a young girl her friends Bud and Kathy Bane would come and get Elsie and her brother Bob and take them out to the clubs dancing.  Since she was under age this required sneaking her into places like the Airplane Club off Morrison Road.  Both she and her brother were great dancers doing jitterbug and swing dancing.  She kept her love of music and dancing throughout her life.

 Aunt Dode’s daughters Joyce and Bev thought of their aunt Elsie as a cool big sister.  Bev remembers her spending a lot of time with them when they were growing up.  They could confide in Elsie like a big sister.  Bev remembers her dating and was glad Elsie would not become an old maid because she got married at 21.

 On February 23, 1946 she married Rex Elvin Horne.  They had 3 children – Mike, Dotty, and Rex.  The family lived in Cheyenne, Wyoming for seven years.  Where her husband worked as a painter for an auto body shop, later he would own his own auto body shop and towing service there.  Reduction in the size of Warren Air Force base caused the family to move to Englewood, Colorado.

 It was a struggle raising 3 kids but mom and dad never complained about it.  Being close to their large family made it easier, and we kids always felt loved and cared for.

 When Mike was a teenager he didn’t know how to dance and was going to a school dance, Elsie taught him how to jitterbug and fox trot.  This was just one of the ways she helped her kids, she was also a co leader for Rex’s scout troop.

 Rex remembers that the radio was always on while Elsie did the housework.  She liked Eddy Arnold, and would play his records all the time.  “Make the World Go Away” by him was one of her favorite songs.

 Dotty remembers her being home when she got home from school.  Usually there were milk and cookies or sometimes a sandwich for an after school snack.  She never needed a house key until she was 16.

 When we were sick as youngsters Elsie would say “Come on, get out of bed, wash your face, get dressed, and you will feel better.”  This was her mantra throughout her life.  We were not sick enough to stay home very often. 

Mom and dad used to go polka dancing with Cousin Beverly and her husband Vern at a Slovakian dance club in downtown Denver.  Since Elsie and Bev were the same size they could trade their nice clothes doubling the size of their wardrobes.  After we kids got married and had families of our own she was always there to lend a hand babysitting the grandkids or as a place to get some good advice on child care or life in general.  She liked to visit our houses and help us out in any way she could.  Dotty lived close to where she lived and Elsie seemed to have a second sense knowing when Dotty’s kids forgot their house key showing up to save the day and let them in.  There were other times when Dotty would pick up the phone to call her and she would be calling Dotty at the same time.

 Elsie learned to drive when she was 50 years old.  She took lessons from the Sears Driving School.  When her sister Dode’s husband retired Dode told her that she wouldn’t be going shipping with her any more Elsie, who loved to shop decided it was time to learn to drive.  She drove for 23 years shopping, visiting the grandkids, and taking her mom, Gladys with her sometimes.  Since she stuck to the slower, less traveled routes her grandkids were amazed that she know all these different ways to go someplace.

 On the third of the month she and her granddaughter, Betsy would go to the bank, shopping, pay the bills, and go out to dinner.  Usually Betsy’s kids Brielle and Kyle would tag along.  When she was out shopping she could walk the legs off you and not be tired the next day.

 Elsie was a cancer survivor.  She had colon cancer over twenty-nine years ago.  In May of this year she fell at home and fractured her collar bone.  It was a couple of weeks later that the family realized that the fall had also ruptured her colon where it was weakened from the old surgery.  The doctor in the emergency room gave her 24 to 48 to live.  Bur her life mantra of get up, wash your face and you’ll feel better kept her with us until October 20th. 

On June 15th she was moved from the rehab section at Orchard Park to the hospice area.  The staff took great care of her and always commented on her wonderful positive outlook on life.  The nursed from the rehab area came to visit her and see how she was doing even though she was no longer their patient.  They would ask how she was doing and she would reply “Oh, I’m alright. But how are you doing?”  Always thoughtful and kind she would ask about their family and kids.

 Sometimes when Dotty and Elsie were out shopping they would run into family or friends and Elsie would greet them with a smile and a hug.  “So glad to see you.  Doing OK”  You sure look good.”  This was her normal greeting.

 She was a sweet and kind-hearted soul.  Always ready with a hug and kiss for us.  She left all of us with our won special memories of her.  Even strangers have told us their special stories about our mom.  The staff at Orchard Park took good care of her and loved her kind words for them.

 Thanks, Elsie for making our lives happier and better.  We’re sure God said, “Welcome home, Elsie.”


Visitation was held at the Bullock Colonial Chapel on Tuesday, October 30th from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m..  Services were held on Wednesday, October 31st at 11:30 a.m. with interment following at Fort Logan National Cemetery.


Family and friends are encouraged to share stories and photographs here on Elsie's website (click "Tribute Wall" tab on the top of this page).








© 2019 Bullock Mortuary. All Rights Reserved. Funeral Home website by CFS